ABCDE Bike Check
A – Air in tires?
B – Brakes working properly?
C – Chain lubed?
D – Deraillurs shifting properly?
E – Everything else. Do a drop test and listen for awkward noises.
Video: Bike Safety Check
- Proper size and fit?
- Sitting level on the rider’s head?
- Straps form the letter “Y” under the ears?
- Buckle closed and snug under chin?
- Any noticeable damage to the helmet?
Video: Helmet Check
Equipment & Rider Check
- Appropriate Clothing
- Closed-Toe Shoes
- Proper pre-ride nutrition (food and water)
- Flat Repair
- Extra Clothing Layer
- Positive energy and mindset
- No recent injuries or personal concerns that may impact you today
Pre-Ride Safety Talk
- Coach is always in charge
- Other trail users
- If you get separated….
- Nature, wildlife, and plants
- Leave no trace
- Describe intended ride
- Take a head count (maybe even take a picture of your group for easy reference of count and looks)
3 Essential Skills
- Head up, eyes scanning ahead
- At least one finger on each brake lever at all times (even when climbing)
- Level pedals when not pedaling
Video: 3 Essential Skills
See also “101 Skills Instruction” page.
How to Instruct
- Name the skill
- Explain where, when, and why it is used
- Explain teaching points with static demonstration
- Provide a moving demonstration
- Prompt for questions
- Have students practice and provide feedback
- Prompt for remaining questions
- Offer progressions, if appropriate
- Be nice and say “hi”
- Riders yield to hikers and horses
- Yield to rider pedaling uphill
- Communicate to others – on your left, signal turns, slowing, etc
- Say “thank you” or “have a nice day”
- What were our goals as we began our ride today?
- How did we accomplish those goals?
- Did you notice an improvement in one of your teammates today?
- What did you like most about today’s practice or ride?
- What would you like to change for next time?
- How can I/we coach you better?
- Remain calm
- Assess the scene
- Secure the scene
- Administer first-aid
- Is evacuation required?
- Call emergency contact
- Complete injury form